Tomato Relish

I love tomato relish. There is something about a jar of relish that each time I open it I really do ‘relish’ it. As the name says, it adds something to a meal. This particular recipe, isn’t shelf stable, it will last in the fridge for up to two months. But what I do is - put what I would use in that time into sterilised jars, the rest I freeze!

I use this relish as a tomato sauce substitute or I eat it with eggs and bacon for brunch, on burgers, or on freshly made bread that has been lightly toasted with a sprinkling of fresh parmesan! YUM!

So here it is Four Chooks Farm Tomato Relish recipe:

Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 Clove of garlic – crushed
1 Medium onion sliced thinly or chopped finely (whatever is your preference)
4 or 5 large (approx. 1kg) tomatoes
4 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
A small bunch of torn basil leaves (optional)

Method:

Heat the oil in a large pot, and lightly cook the garlic and onion till tender.

Add the tomatoes, basil, vinegar, and sugar. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes – or until the mix has broken down and reduced by half.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Use immediately if you like! Or pour into sterilised jars and seal and once cooled keep in the fridge for up to 2 months. Alternatively cool the relish and freeze.

Enjoy!







Comments

Popular Posts