Meal Planning

Meal Planning

I've been meal planning for a few months now. And I love it! I'm saving time and money, so I thought I would share what I do with you all.

Firstly though I will tell you what I used to do...... I would go food shopping each week, I would buy a bit of everything and each morning decide what we were having for dinner. This worked for us for over a decade. But life is getting busier and I wanted to be more organised!

Enter meal planning!

I had heard about it through a few you tube channels that I watch, so did a bit of research (turns out every one has their own way of doing it), so I decided to go with a way that worked for us.

So on a Sunday night this is what I do...(it seems like a lot but it only takes 15 minutes)

First - I go through the freezer and see what meat we have. (Most of our meals include some meat). I write this down.

Then do the same for fruit and vegetables that are still left over from the week.

Second - I write down a list of Monday through to Sunday and mark any nights we are going out or have people around.

Third - Then I have a list of all the meals that I make. I go through this and firstly use up the meat/veg that I already have. Then I go through and decide what else we are going to eat that week. Making sure that, for example, if we have a roast chicken one night, that the left overs can be used another night for example in a curry or a pie. Or if we have lasagne or bolognese, reserving some of that sauce for baked potatoes for instance.

Fourth - This is where our shopping list comes into play. I write down what meat and vegetables or anything else I will need for those meals on the list.

Fifth - After that has been done, I check the pantry for any other staples we may need. Then I check any fresh fruit. Then go onto the laundry and bathrooms to fill in the rest of our shopping list.

Then come Monday morning, I do my food shopping and I am set for the week. I know exactly what is being cooked each night, so I save time. And by buying only what is needed, and using all that I already have, and making use of leftovers....I am saving money!!

Here is an example of our list:

In the freezer;

X2 chicken breasts
Leftover stir fry
X2 pork buns
Pork chops
Beef mince

Meal plan;

Monday- grilled chicken and cauliflower
Tuesday- spaghetti and meatballs
Wednesday- pork buns and stir fry (left overs frozen)
Thursday- roast chicken with veg
Friday- chicken and ham cannelloni (using left over chicken)
Saturday- homemade pizza
Sunday- out - buy dinner

Shopping list;

Roast chicken
Ham
Salami
Pumpkin
Potatoes
Apples
Bananas
Frozen beans
Tinned tomatoes x4
Milk
Cream
Yogurt
Tissues
Washing powder
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Lemonade
Dark chocolate


I am really loving this system and urge you to give it a try. Let us know how you went or what you do to plan your weekly meals/shopping?


Comments

Popular Posts