Our First Visit To Costco

Costco opened in Adelaide a few months ago - people camped over night for the grand opening! How ridiculous! I haven't been too fussed about going, I don't buy a lot of 'packaged' foods and I thought it would be aisle upon aisle of pre-packaged foods. Then a close friend went and said she was pleasantly surprised - so I have to admit I've been a tad excited to go!

So today was the day! We signed up as members and off we went!

It was HUGE! And yes there are aisle upon aisles of packaged foods. But they also have homewares, toys, electrical goods, gardening items, and fresh foods. I have to say I was impressed! Some of the prices were comparable to our local supermarket, other things though were so much cheaper! I did most of a weekly shop there - although I felt I spent a lot more than I would have usually (a lot more!) but I bought in bulk! So some of the items I won't have to buy for months and months now.

As our veggie patch is still under construction I bought some bulk baby spinach which I will blanch and freeze in smaller portions. We also bought some amazing looking pork belly and some well priced chuck steak that has also be divided into meal sized portions and put into our deep freezer. We bought a smoked ham and sliced it up and have frozen it into 17 portions!!! That's a lot of ham!

It's not a place I would do my weekly shop as it's out of my way and I don't need to buy bulk quantities on a weekly basis, but having said that I think it would be somewhere that I will keep an eye on the specials so that when something I use a lot of comes up I will make the trip there for that item and buy up big!

Have you been to Costco? What did you think?





Comments

Popular Posts