Preserved Apple and Rhubarb

From our trip to Robe we went to a local market and I bought pumpkin, apple juice and rhubarb - all organic and all delicious! When we got home I had some apples that needed using so I put them with the rhubarb and preserved them for crumbles and strudels in my Fowlers Vacola preserving kit.

First I mad a medium syrup - 1 cup of sugar, 2 cups of water and heated on stove till dissolved.

Then I cut the rhubarb into small batons, peeled and cut the apples into small chunks. I soaked these in water with the juice of half a lemon so the apples didn't discolour.

I then placed the drained fruit into the sterilised jars and topped them up with syrup. After putting the lids and clips on I processed them.

Once done I removed from vacola, and they will sit undisturbed on the cupboard for 3 days. Then I'll remove the clips and store them ready to eat!

*(please note this is for my personal use only and Four Chooks Farm does not accept any responsibility for those who copy this method. As with all preserving it must be done in a way to ensure the highest of food safety. Please refer to your own preserving manuals for the latest and safest methods).



Ready to be processed

Done! 

Comments

Popular Posts