Short Crust Pastry - Sweet & Savoury


I make this pastry at least once a fortnight. If it's not for dinner; chicken or beef pie then it's for dessert; lemon meringue pie, apple pie, banana caramel pie! Who doesn't love pastry!!!! 

This recipe makes one pie case. If you want a top for your pie, double the mixture. 

This is the Thermomix short crust pastry recipe that I do in my Thermomix. You can easily do this by hand too.

Ingredients:

200 grams plain flour
100 grams room temperature unsalted butter
60 grams of water

For a savoury crust add:
1/4 teaspoon of salt

For a sweet crust add:
1 tablespoon icing sugar

Method:

Rub butter and flour and either salt or sugar together with the tips of your fingers or mix with your food processor.

Add the water and mix till the dough becomes a ball. 

Don't knead much just make sure it's well combined. 

Wrap in glad wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.

After it's been refrigerated roll out on a lightly floured surface to fit your pie dish. 

Lay the dough in a greased pie case. 

Place a piece of baking paper on top of the dough and fill with baking beads.

Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees celcius. Then removed the baking beads and baking paper and bake until golden brown 10-20 minutes depending on your oven.


Note: if I'm making a banana caramel pie for example I would then let the crust cool before adding my filling. If I'm doing a savoury pie or apple pie after laying the dough in the case I would fill with pre cooked filling then add the top, brush with milk/egg wash and add a little hole for steam. Then I would cook it as one until cooked through and golden in top.

Enjoy! 



Comments

Popular Posts